Martin Kobler, Head of MONUSCO, calls for decisive joint military actions to neutralize the ADF
Kinshasa 18 October 2014 – Martin Kobler, Head of MONUSCO, calls for “decisive joint military actions of FARDC and MONUSCO to start as soon as possible in order to relieve the population from the terror imposed by the ADF, once and for all”.
Martin Kobler, Head of MONUSCO, calls for “decisive joint military actions of FARDC and MONUSCO to start as soon as possible in order to relieve the population from the terror imposed by the ADF, once and for all”.
“This sequence of violence, killings, assassinations, and human rights violations in Beni territory needs to stop immediately and I strongly condemn these atrocious acts” added the Special Representative of the Secretary-General in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Martin Kobler was in Beni on Friday 17 October to pay tribute to the families of the victims of these atrocious attacks. The head of MONUSCO and the acting Force Commander stressed MONUSCO’s full and unwavering determination to neutralize all illegal armed groups in eastern DRC, including the ADF.
Note to Editors
· Around two dozen of people in Eringeti, North of Beni were killed by suspected ADF elements in the night between 17 and 18 October.
· On 15 October, around 20:00 hours, a group of assailants presumed to belong to the ADF rebel group attacked the Ngadi and Kadu localities in Beni area leading to the death of more than two dozen people.
· According to medical sources in Beni, the number of victims of the 15 October 2014 massacres is now up to 30 deaths, following the passing of severely wounded persons.
· In addition to the increased engagement of its Force, MONUSCO has ordered a more active presence of its Police components.
· Eringeti is situated about 57 km North of Beni in North Kivu Province